[jhb_airlines] Having your hands full

  • From: FrankTurley@xxxxxxx
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 15:43:32 EST

Hi All,

I have recently been chewing over Gerry's e-mail regarding "we" doing the
flying, and Bones comments on having your hands full when things go off  plan.

Tonight I thought I would try my hand at IFR flying on FPI, instead of the
usual VFR. There were controllers along my chosen route of Glasgow to Bristol,
and I had downloaded the charts for both airfields. I had also mentally
rehearsed the Glasgow SID, so it should be a piece of cake, getting the
autopilot
to do most of the flying.

All went well until being switched from London Centre to Bristol Approach,
as I just could not get the EGGD_APP to arrive in my ATC selection box. I tried
 entering it into the ATOC voice connection box, but when I checked the VOX
window I was there on my own. Meanwhile, because I had also tuned into the UK
channel, I could hear the controllers having a conversation about my failure
to  tune to EGGD_APP. Using my initiative I spoke to Brian on the UK channel
and we  used it to get me down, but you can imagine the flap as I was wrestling
with the  comms, taking instructions on course changes and the descent, and
trying to keep  cool!

One of the things I tried was to tune the aircraft com radio to the  required
frequency, but this didn't appear to work. Does anyone know a sure fire  way
to manually tune the ATOC radios? I really would like to avoid this  happening
again!

Frank T.

Needless to say, once on the ground and parked, I managed to get on to the
correct channel.