[jhb_airlines] Re: Hardware preferences

  • From: pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter Dodds)
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 10:14 +0100 (BST)

> They are an
> expensive item just to make taxying easier but I recommend
> them if you
> fly light aircraft a lot and have to contend with sideslipping
> and
> crosswinds.
I have only recently bought some of these (I considered them a
luxury too far when real world flying was the alternative use
of the money), and they are excellent for taxying and
differential braking.

However, I find that with the 172, if you turn off Automatic
Rudder Coordination, the aircraft becomes very sluggish when
turning in the air, and you have lead with rudder into all turns
(apply rudder first, aileron second).  This is unrealistic in the
172, though very realistic in older types of light aircraft.
Some will even almost refuse to turn at all by banking alone.  In
the Cessna "Spamcam" series in general, the Frise ailerons are so
good, that rudder is all but superfluous in normal flight.