[jhb_airlines] Re: Gross Weight

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 17:38:28 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: jhb_airlines-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:jhb_airlines-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of =
FrankTurley@xxxxxxx
Sent: 19 December 2004 12:10
To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [jhb_airlines] Re: Gross Weight

=20
In a message dated 19/12/2004 11:50:01 GMT Standard Time, bones@xxxxxxx  =

writes:
Yep -  that is an FS value that can be trapped in XML. It would read the
same value as shown in the top display using SHIFT + Z.

Basically  XML is flexible enough to create a gauge showing almost any =
FS
parameter  you want. Some examples at random are:

TURN COORDINATOR BALL
SIM ON  GROUND
GROUND ALTITUDE
DELTA HEADING RATE
GYRO DRIFT ERROR
PLANE  HEADING DEGREES GYRO
WISKEY COMPASS INDICATION DEGREES
MAGVAR
TOTAL  WEIGHT
DECISION HEIGHT
RADIO HEIGHT
AIRCRAFT WIND Z
AIRCRAFT WIND  Y
AIRCRAFT WIND X
STANDARD ATM TEMPERATURE
TOTAL AIR  TEMPERATURE
SEA LEVEL PRESSURE
BAROMETER PRESSURE
AMBIENT WIND  Z
AMBIENT WIND Y
AMBIENT WIND X
AMBIENT WIND DIRECTION
AMBIENT  WIND VELOCITY
AMBIENT PRESSURE
AMBIENT TEMPERATURE
AMBIENT  DENSITY

and so it goes on. These "A:Vars" run to 920 separate  variables!

What you do with the variable is up to you. They can be  displayed as =
simple
text or you can (if up to it) design a proper gauge to  show the result.

bones

Hi Bones,
=20
Is this a good subject for one of your excellent tutorials? Sounds like =
we =20
could use this info.
as the basis for some useful guages, even if they just appear as  text.
=20
Frank T.

Heh, heh. Considering I only started looking at XML 24 hours ago I can't =
say
I am any expert on the subject yet. I have written a basic gauge to show
total weight but the font is huge. Any twiddling I do to reduce this =
then
results in the panel and button disappearing - and I don't know why. XML =
is
critical for syntax so my guess it is just a typo somewhere.

Anyone can write XML but there are a couple of essential tools. The
tutorials for it are almost non existent so the best way to proceed is =
open the FS2004 gauge CAB files in Winzip and extract the included XML =
files
to a folder. These can be opened with Notepad and then you can fiddle =
away
to your heart's content. The problem comes with recompiling the data as =
you
need to recompile the CAB file. Winzip will not do this - you need a CAB
compiler - and I use the CABDir utility that is one of the FS2004 SDK's.
Because this is a command line only tool I also use VCab (vcab101.zip) =
make life a lot easier.

As for XML scripting the MS Panel SDK is woefully blank on this - it =
still
describes the C+ syntax for the old FS2002 GAU files. Only a couple of =
pages
are devoted to XML and they say precious little. The best tutorial is
XMLgau01.zip by Arne Bartels but this is only really useful for a list =
of
all the A and P variables and the K events. The RTF document included =
only
briefly mentions the syntax of XML and most of it is taken up with
explaining Reverse Polish Notation that is used for the gauge operation. =
Way
beyond me and I take my hat off to all those designers who have built =
custom
XML gauges for their aircraft.

A second file called cptts12.zip by Jorge Salas is also very useful. =
Jorge
has build a series of gauges - all switch operated - and you can either =
use
these directly in your existing panels or open them to modify for your =
own
use. Jorge is good here because the 27 CAB files he has written cover a =
lot
of the normal FS variables and so they provide a good resource for =
further
manipulation.

All that lot I learned yesterday so I only have 24 hours start on the =
rest
of you..