[jhb_airlines] Re: Gauges

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 10:10:29 +0100

Been fiddling again.

For farm strip flying, I've taken to using the Maule 270 Tricycle. Good 145 kias cruis plus low stall speed and excellent takeoff acceleration. All, apparently, true to life.
The only snag is that I greatly prefer the looks of my usual VFR steed, the APM 20 Lionceau Cub. It's low wing and sleek.
In an attempt to have the best of both worlds, I decided to produce an FS variant; FS standing for Farm Strip. The idea is to have Maule performance in an APM20 package. This has required, amongst other things, a change to the prop, retaining the original but converting to Constant Speed. In turn this has needed a change from the APM20's simple RPM gauge to the Maule's MP and Prop RPM gauges.
I've tweeked the power unit to give me a 145 kias cruise, as confirmed by both the APM20 Airspeed gauge and a glass Lear PFD, which sits on the co-pilot's side. The snag was that this took me into the amber sector. No problem; I substituted the Maule Airspeed gauge. BUT; it reads about 20kias higher in the cruise and 10 kias higher at the top of the white sector.

Am I missing something basic?
The alternative is to look for something else using a gauge that goes to 145, without going into the amber.

Gerry Winskill
gwinsk@xxxxxxx