[jhb_airlines] Re: GPS Prezzie

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 14:10:30 +0100

The Geko to PC cable is Serial port connection. Laptop doesn't have a Serial port; other than for external monitor. It's advised to get a Serial to USB connector cable, so the Geko must be capable of communicating with some map progs, though not Pocket FMS?

One of the Garmin options is a Serial to USB, that includes the cigar plug you mentioned. I'd been hoping, not to power up in the car but to use external power whilst connected to the laptop, fiddling.

Yep - it can be a bit of a minefield.

I can get Pocket FMS on my iPAQ to talk to my Tom Tom GPS Bluetooth receiver
I can get Pocket FMS on the PC to take signals from FS2004 via a COM port.
I can get FS2004 to send signals to the Garmin via a COM port but not USB.
I can get Pocket FMS to receive data from the Garmin via a COM port but not
USB.

After that I get a bit confused.. <g>