[jhb_airlines] Fw: [UKscenery2] FSX and UK Photographic scenery

  • From: "Tom Smith" <ftd.smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 19:29:32 +0100

this might interest the list
Tom
----- Original Message -----
From: Mally
To: ukscenery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 3:57 PM
Subject: Re: [UKscenery2] FSX and UK Photographic scenery

Hi everyone

Thanks for all the support and kudos you've all been so kind as to afford me
here. Yes, it's certainly a shame in some ways that I'm not involved in the
development of the new high res photo scenery but the upside is that at
least I'll get to fly the new scenery and be able to fully enjoy it as a
user rather than worrying about the technicalities all the time! Should be
fun if the Horizon demo is anything to go by!

The supreme irony is that as Horizon have allowed me to re-sell the scenery
via the Visual Flight web site (something that was not possibly with the
original scenery!), I actually stand to make very substantially more on each
copy sold (via my web site only) than I did as a developer!!! If any of you
are interested in maybe giving a little back in this way, you can pre-order
VFR Generation X here:

http://visualflight.info/products/vfr-generation-x

Sorry if that makes this post sound a little cheeky - that's not my
intention, but I am aware that some of you would rather I mention this than
keep quiet about it. In terms of what it gets you, basically it's the same
as ordering direct from Horizon (the Add to Cart button takes you to their
site to complete the order), and they've promised to time the pre-order
deliveries so that you should receive your order through the post on the
same day or possibly a little before it's available in the retail outlets.

Just a word about FSX itself. I was riddled with doubts about it's
performance until I tried the Horizon demo. The photo scenery totally
transforms it performance wise, and even on a relatively humble PC like my
own, it's just totally smooth and flyable even at 1m photo and 10m mesh with
no problems of blurries getting in the way of enjoying things (apart from
sometimes when switching views). The same is true of the Just Flight demo as
well of course, though I've not measured the relative performance between
the two demos to see if one has the edge or not.

If anyone has any questions about the new photo sceneries, I'll do my best
to answer them - bearing in mind that I'm really not involved at all at the
development level, so can only "say what I see".

Sorry I've not been around in ukscenery so much lately. Hope you're all
well.

Just a quick update on Shep for those of you who are not aware: Shep's been
in hospital the last several days having suffered a stroke. He's back hope
now and in good spirits, particularly as he's been cleared of even worse
health worries and now just has to work at regaining the full use of his
left hand and arm - which hopefully will come with time. He's back online
now and getting back into FSX etc with as much enthusiasm as ever.

cheers

Mally