[jhb_airlines] Fokker F70

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "JHB Email List" <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 01:51:47 -0000

Having just flown this aircraft from Barking Sands to Tern Island I can say
that it is a lovely aircraft to fly. I have two observations though. First
is that I had to be careful climbing above FL300 as the autopilot seems to
give priority to rate of climb over airspeed. Passing through FL310 the
speed started to creep down below 200kts and I had to force the ROC down
from 1800fpm to a more sensible 1000fpm. I had to reduce this further
approaching FL370.

Most aircraft autopilot systems now seem to have some intelligence built in
so that if the rate of climb at high levels begins to affect airspeed then
they sacrifice the former for the latter - effectively they are speed
priority rather than ROC priority (which was a bad feature of FS5).

With a second test I actually left the aircraft to its own devices but, by
FL330 the speed was down to 145kts and still dropping so I gave this up.

Second observation is the wind readout on the HSI. This shows a wind
velocity twice that of the FS2004 wind. I suspect this is carry over of the
gauge used in FS2002 because the default wind in that sim was definitely
wrong. Unfortunately this isn't an XML gauge or else I could have changed
it. It is a standard GAU file written in C+ or something similar so it
remains inviolate to me. I might drop PF an email about it.

Other than that it's a very nice aircraft to fly and I just about got it
into Tern Island - a 6000ft coral runway but with trees at each end.

HC@xxxxxxxxxx
http://fsaviation.net