[jhb_airlines] Re: Flying the chopper in FS

  • From: franklyn fisher <ff006c5886@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 17:20:39 +0000

Bones
My message reads that the Gazelle 'thinks' it has wheels, ie when landing, with any form of horizontal movement, particularly forward or back, the chopper just skids along until it stops.
You have to hit the deck with zero movement, even then it slides a tad.
The Bell and most other choppers with skids  stop dead.
I have the FS2002 and FS2004 versions and they both do the same.
And the Wessex and Chinook can be landed with zero movement .
Frank

Bones wrote:
Frank's right in that anyone seriously looking at flying helicopters should
run through the HoverControl lessons. Second is that there isn't much point
in trying a chopper if you have bum frame rates - the theoretical 26fps is
useless as you need as much as you can get. Once you are in the hover the
rate of displacement becomes critical and you need to correct it before it
develops. Only high fps will help you here.

I'm puzzled that the Gazelle has wheels - I thought it only came on skids.
Choopers with wheels are slightly easier to land as they don't have the
Bell's propensity to tip over if landing with a slight amount of drift -
something the B206 does all too easily. I'll admit I never tried the R22 in
FS2004 and I should as it has a far lighter mass than the B206 but quite a
lot of inertia. It will be interesting to see if this makes it harder or
easier to fly.

Real helicopters are a lot easier to fly. <g>