[jhb_airlines] Re: Flying the chopper in FS

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 16:43:07 -0000

Frank's right in that anyone seriously looking at flying helicopters should
run through the HoverControl lessons. Second is that there isn't much point
in trying a chopper if you have bum frame rates - the theoretical 26fps is
useless as you need as much as you can get. Once you are in the hover the
rate of displacement becomes critical and you need to correct it before it
develops. Only high fps will help you here.

I'm puzzled that the Gazelle has wheels - I thought it only came on skids.
Choopers with wheels are slightly easier to land as they don't have the
Bell's propensity to tip over if landing with a slight amount of drift -
something the B206 does all too easily. I'll admit I never tried the R22 in
FS2004 and I should as it has a far lighter mass than the B206 but quite a
lot of inertia. It will be interesting to see if this makes it harder or
easier to fly.

Real helicopters are a lot easier to fly. <g>