[jhb_airlines] Re: Floor mounted joystick.

  • From: pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter Dodds)
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:17 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

The big snag with that approach (I tested it) is that the full deflection
movement (FDM) at the top
is way too much - over 2.5 feet, whereas I want about half that. Also, the
stick's own weight and
centre of gravity mean that at FDM it stays there.  The springs aren't strong
enough to centre it.
My plan therefore is to put a lump of lead on the bottom, so that the C of G is
arround the gimbal
axis.  Then the original joystick springs should cope with centering OK.  Yes I
agree that the stick
has to have a S bend in it, unless I cut a slot in my office chair! This chair
is one of those
Elizabethan design crossed lath type you sometimes see in Churches for the
Bishop to sit on (very
comfortable actually), so cutting a slot through its centre will result in its
immediate collapse
into a neat pile of kindling!

All this is why the guy who makes the Copycat ones charges well over £100 each
and has a very long
lead time.