[jhb_airlines] Re: Floor mounted joystick.

  • From: pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter Dodds)
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 17:55 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

> What about a ball and socket mount for a camera tripod?
>
> bones
I have now built my joystick based on the camera tripod ball and socket
mechanism.  And guess what?
It works, but not quite as expected. The trouble is the ball and socket gives
you the pitch, and
roll that you want, but it also allows yaw, which a gimbal doesn't. I built the
joystick like a
lower case 'h' in 1/2" copper tubing, with the straight up and down bit being
the handle, attached
at the bottom to the ball and socket, and the bottom of the branch being
connected to the stub shaft
of the original joystick, fixed in front of the camera tripod (a table top unit
from Jessops).

So when I move the stick to the left, it yaws instead of taking the original
joystick stub shaft to
the left also. I can twist it to obtain roll, but that is not correct
behaviour.  back to the
drawing board.