[jhb_airlines] Re: Flight Project International - All Please Read

  • From: Alastair <algy.mcintyre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:34:30 +0100

Alex

Sad news indeed, although given the circumstances, not entirely unexpected.

I can only echo the words of my fellow JHB members and thank yourself, Andy,Dave and Kevin for all your efforts in trying to keep FPI afloat.

I suppose that one of FPI's main attractions i.e. that it was a small, user friendly outfit, was in the end one of it's downfalls.....it was just to small to keep up with the 'big boys', which is a great pity.

I would imagine that this Wednesday, tomorrow, will be the last time where we can fly together under the FPI banner.

Lets hope we get a good turnout.

Alastair

Alex Barrett wrote:
Gentlemen,

Over the past 3+ years I have come to know most of you through JHB's dealings with FPI.

In that time there have been some ups and many downs but we have seen it through with ideas, laughs and some intelligent conversation (well..not from me!)

However, from an E-Mail I received this morning it looks like FPI will continue no more, estimated "Power off" date is due to be early next week.

I have been asked not to communicate this to "my" members until the providers are ready to release to the world, however I see no loss for anybody by telling you all now.

Obviously we all know the reason, lack of activity and lack of management from the top levels down. However I am still s lightly dissapointed that it is all happening so quickly.

On the other side there is the cost, the providers have been paying this silently for well over 4 years now, The price being in the region of £300 per calendar month for the whole network.

In the time it has been running FPI has massed up a minimum of £16,000 worth of expendature for very little reward or recognition. It is hardly fair on the providers and staff to keep footing these bills, and to allow the network to go "payware" would, of course, be unacceptable.

I am sad at this loss, not because of the network, but because of the friends I have come to make over the past few years, none of whom I have ever met, but I still feel honoured to know them.

To the Pilots of JHB, and a handful of others, I would like to say thank you for all your dedication. It is of no surprise to anyone that you alone have kept the network running. Every week dedicated pilots and controllers attend our UK and Ireland events and it has been that way since I joined.

It is with pride I say that we have been the envy of the network! and that is no understatement.

I would, therefore, like to invite everybody to this Wednesdays FPI event, one which will most probably be the last major (ha!) event held on FPI and I would like to fly with you gentlemen one last time on this network.

I have been a member of this list for the past year as UK and Ireland Country Rep/President and, as there will be no more network, I would imagine that I no longer hold privalidge to join in, therefore as your FPI representative I shall say my goodbye.

I send this mail now as the mailserver may be taken down anyday!

There are plans afoot for a smaller, non structured organisation using the FPI software to be set up, this would ,as plans stand, be simply a multiplayer server on which the FPI software and ATC client will work.

However details have yet to be clarified.

For those of you that are after a structured ATC network I am sad to suggest that you now look elsewhere. I'm sure we all know the alternatives: VATSIM/IVAO/Globalsim

Having been UK director at some point on both the main alternatives I reccomed them both heartily, however I know that the community spirit here at FPI can never be matched at either.

Thank you for the brilliant times gentlemen, it has been an honour to serve!

Forever your humble servant,

Alex

Alex Barrett
FPI - UK & Ireland President