[jhb_airlines] Re: Flight Project International - All Please Read

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 14:21:40 +0100

Awful news. It's especially bad for the members who have poured a lot of
time and effort into the FPI infrastructure (like yourself) who have no say
in the matter. It was the same when FPI originally shut down the Divisions
with pages and pages of hard work from the UK guys being redundant
overnight. FPI are brilliant software developers but their management skills
have been woeful.

With FPI closing down the future for any JHB online activity is a little
unclear. I still have the FSD server software on my system but that was
originally designed to work with Pro Controller and Squawkbox 2 - I'm not at
all convinced it will work with any later software. I guess we could always
test it. If this is not possible the other avenue to explore would be if FPI
provide (or release) a server software so we could create our own online
network. I never really understood how the FSD software worked (it was only
168k) but even on my PC it seemed to handle 12/15 aircraft without a glitch.

If those ideas fall through then the only logical step is for pilots to
decide if VATSIM is within their grasp. I would probably move back again but
only at Ronaldsway as I am not at all interested in learning the huge volume
of material for real world Centre operations again. Mike can probably fill
us in on current VATSIM operations and maybe suggest some tips for an easy
transition. My guess is that those pilots who plan their IFR flights well
and have all the paperwork for a route would adjust to VATSIM quite quickly
but those who are used to FPI controllers giving radar services from 50nm
out and just being fed onto the ILS may be wise to start off with VFR
flights and use these to suss out how the ground lies.

In the meantime I'll probably shut down the UK_FPI email list. Most FPI
controllers are on the JHB list already and I am more than happy to have you
stay for the chat and goings on. JHB is recognised by VATSIM so anyone who
would like a JHB pilot ID would be given one quite gladly.

In the meantime I'll have a look at the FSD software notes..