[jhb_airlines] Flight Project International - All Please Read

  • From: "Alex Barrett" <fpi509267@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 14:30:32 +0000

Gentlemen,

Over the past 3+ years I have come to know most of you through JHB's dealings
with FPI.
In that time there have been some ups and many downs but we have seen it
through with ideas, laughs and some intelligent conversation (well..not from
me!)

However, from an E-Mail I received this morning it looks like FPI will continue
no more, estimated "Power off" date is due to be early next week.

I have been asked not to communicate this to "my" members until the providers
are ready to release to the world, however I see no loss for anybody by telling
you all now.

Obviously we all know the reason, lack of activity and lack of management from
the top levels down. However I am still slightlydissapointed that it is all
happening so quickly.

On the other side there is the cost, the providers have been paying this
silently for well over 4 years now, The price being in the region of £300 per
calendar month for the whole network.

In the time it has been running FPI has massed up a minimum of £16,000 worth of
expendature for very little reward or recognition. It is hardly fair on the
providers and staff to keep footing these bills, and to allow the network to go
"payware" would, of course, be unacceptable.

I am sad at this loss, not because of the network, but because of the friends I
have come to make over the past few years, none of whom I have ever met, but I
still feel honoured to know them.

To the Pilots of JHB, and a handful ofothers, I would like to say thank you for
all your dedication. It is of no surprise to anyone that you alone have kept
the network running. Every week dedicated pilots and controllers attend our UK
and Ireland events and it has been that way since I joined.

It is with pride I say that we have been the envy of the network! and that is
no understatement.

I would, therefore, like to invite everybody to this Wednesdays FPI event, one
which will most probably be the last major (ha!) event held on FPI and I would
like to fly with you gentlemen one last time on this network.

I have been a member of this list for the past year as UK and Ireland Country
Rep/President and, as there will be no more network, I would imagine that I no
longer hold privalidge to join in, therefore as your FPI representative I shall
say mygoodbye.

I send this mail now as the mailserver may be taken down anyday!

There are plans afoot for a smaller, non structured organisation using the FPI
software to be set up, this would ,as plans stand, be simply a multiplayer
server on which the FPI software and ATC client will work.

However details have yet to be clarified.

For those of you that are after a structured ATC network I am sad to suggest
that you now look elsewhere. I'm sure we all know the alternatives:
VATSIM/IVAO/Globalsim

Having been UK director at some point on both the main alternatives I reccomed
them both heartily, however I know that the community spirit here at FPI can
never be matched at either.

Thank you for the brilliant times gentlemen, it has been an honour to serve!

Forever your humble servant,

Alex

Alex Barrett
FPI - UK & Ireland President