[jhb_airlines] Re: Farm Strip Flyin

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 09:58:18 +0100

Weather doesn't look too promising!
To make it bearable, I'm going to set mine up with current winds of 210 at 10 kts. I'll pop in a few clouds at about 8000', for atmosphere. That will make the Maypole Farm active rwy 20.

Gerry Winskill
gwinsk@xxxxxxx

Gerry Winskill wrote:

The screen shots of Maypole Farm's two runways are available, as part of a zip file, from the link below. If the shots don't tempt you, you've no soul....
Also in the zip are the two relevant pages from Lockyears. Do hope none of you work for them!

To get my bid in first, definitely not cricket, I'm starting from the Alcester strip and making an intermediate stop at Oldbury on Severn. My total distance will be in excess of 180 nm.

Link is:

http://www.homepages.mcb.net/gwinsk/XCOUNTRY1.zip

Listening out.

Gerry Winskill

gwinsk@xxxxxxx

Gerry Winskill wrote:

Following from the earlier postings on this topic, and to get it off the ground, Tom Smith and I will be aiming to fly into Maypole Farm, 2 1/2 miles SSE of Herne Bay, on Monday evening. I'll put the two Lockyears pages, plus a couple of enticing screenshots, on my site, later today.Anyone wishing to join us will be extremely welcome. Because of the possible existance of conflicting MP sessions, this is an attempt to kickstart this idea, without trying to lure anyone away from the other sessions.

The Flyin is meant to be a cross country map reading exercise, rather than a fly in company,so there are a few basic rules, which entrants are on trust to observe.
1) No GPS or FSNav to be used
2) No use of the farm's NDB
3) Any other navaids are OK, provided they are not used instead of map reading
4) No two participants to start from the same location; so post your chosen starting point and it's first come first served. The start point doesn't have to be from a farm strip, the choice is yours. Please avoid starting close to any other entrant, since we want to avoid follow my leader.
5) At least one en-route farm strip landing and takeoff to be made
6) As a courtesy to any FPI operators who might be on line, please file a flight plan, including en route VRPs and your chosen intermediate landing strip.
7) Since we're flying VFR, avoid infringeing any controlled airspace areas.

The aim is to be at Maypole Farm around 2100 to 2115, local time. The FS time you set is your own choice. Your starting point may be anywhere within the VFR GM areas, please don't feel you have to start in Kent, or the surrounding counties.

If the FSMeteo weather is VFR, then I shall use that, on my own system, but the choice is down to the individual. I suggest the FPI wind direction be used for runway choice.This should be available by entering .WX EGMH in the bottom ATOC slot. That should bring up the weather for the nearby Manston.
In the unlikely event that the Manston position is active, we'll need to contact Manston approach, for inbound clearance.

Bones, since we won't be relying on ATC for this exercise, if available, why don't you join us in the air? Pity there's no ATOC listed Tiger Moth.

I suggest we use the Unicom frequency, to report passing en-route VRPs and turning points. Also positions during airfield approaches.

The runway at Maypole farm is only 400 Metres, so a/c choice is critical. So that we aren't all watching a growing collection of "Follow Me" vans, if your a/c of choice isn't featured in the ATOC Flightplan Aircraft list, can you please enter a near equivalent in the Filghtplan, perhaps entering your real a/c in the Comments section. For instance, I'll be flying an APM20 but will enter it as a C182RG.
Scenically, to get the best out of the final strip, I'd definitely recommend a visit to the VFR Database site, to get Kent Pylons and Shep's AG trees for the area. They really bring the place to life.

If you're not available but would like to take part in the sessions, then don't just rely on my sessions. With FPI, all you need do is post to the list, giving a time and date that you will be flying, plus a destination Farm Strip, and any of us available will be able to join in. If I spot such a session I'll try to put the two destination pages on my download site.

Gerry Winskill

gwinsk@xxxxxxx