[jhb_airlines] Re: Farm Stip Fly In

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 11:52:08 +0100

One point I forgot. If you do keep a watch on Servinfo, make sure you have the All Pilots list in view. Servinfo doesn't associate the Farm Strip airfield codes with the UK, so any JHB flights from and to the strips will appear only as foreign listed flights.

Gerry Winskill

Gerry Winskill wrote:

Thanks to Tom and Frank, for joining in last night's first session. No problems, as far as I know, apart from Tom's difficulty in seeing us.
Perhaps for the next session, the first to log on might post to the list details of the server to which he's connected. Any others could then try to get on the same one.
We used the JHB channel, which turned out to be less constraining than my proposed Unicom channel; after I'd remembered which transmit key to use!

Surprisingly, well it surprised me, we all arrived at Maypole Farm within 10 mins. In fact Tom had to extend his circuit, to avoid me.

The fact that we didn't have FSNav enabled added to the pressure. If the next check point didn't appear on time there was no quick glance at FSNav, for reassurance. This happened to me a couple of times. I took a deep breath and changed course at the appointed time. It's amazing what a relief it can then be, to spot a mast, where it should be, or from which you can re establish your position.

Thanks to Frank, for telling me something I didn't know. Pressing CTRL Shist L removes the tags that both give away the location of the field and, more serious, obscure the view of the runway, for later arrivals.

I'll try to set something up next Monday.

Meanwhile any VFR flight conducted on FPI is capable of becoming an MP session. All that's needed is for anyone making a VFR flight to file a flight plan. Others, spotting a JHB a/c on Servinfo, can look at the flightplan and, if they wish, start a flight to the same destination, from a different start point. I'll keep an eye on Servinfo, during the day as well.

Gerry Winskill
gwinsk@xxxxxxx