[jhb_airlines] Re: Fair Play

  • From: FrankTurley@xxxxxxx
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 15:00:08 EST

In a message dated 27/11/2006 18:52:41 GMT Standard Time, gwinsk@xxxxxxx
writes:

Having  been critical of the approaches of a couple of addon purveyors,
which I  still am, today's experience has been a revelation.

I'd tried the Tweak  Kev mentions, of setting the texture reolution to
7cm; a tad OTT it felt  too. At that stage I hadn't thought I was
suffering from the blurries,  though my textures didn't look as 3D as
those in Horizon's pre launch  screenshots.

I also tried three other tweaks, mentioned on their  forum:

[BufferPools]
PoolSize=5000000

That, on my machine,  was a showstopper. All I had was blurries and I was
unable to get out of  FSX, it just hung. It had to go!

Then I changed a couple at the same  time, unforgiveable but I wasn't
concentrating:

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=300 (HAD BEEN  30)
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.7 (HAD BEEN  0.33)

Thanks for that Kev and Gerry, I've done the 3 Gerry did on my old machine
and it seems to be much smoother, the joystick isn't so fiery, and the stutters
 appear to have gone.

I'd seen a note previously on the the fiber time fraction, it said the
default was .33 but reducing it to .20 would help increase the frame rates, so
did. The author said it related to the time FS spent drawing scenery as opposed
 to doing everything else. The note also mentioned it should divide easily
into  1, therefore choices of .25, .20, .125 and .10 were also offered. I've
now
got  it at 0.7 - as Gerry - and no problems. No doubt an explanation will
emerge.

Not sure what the BufferPools is all about, but following Gerry's  experience
I've not touched it, in fact it doesn't currently exist in my  fsx.cfg

Frank T.