[jhb_airlines] FSX and Horizon Scenery

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 17:25:32 +0000

The Vol 3 of the new scenery is, until they correct it, a bit of a farce. I'm surprised that the negative feedback to their forum is, up 'til now, good natured. Apart from the fact that much of the Lake District is below sea level, the approach to a large part of West Lancashire involves crossing what appears to be the largest known rectangular swimming pool!

Worse,as I entered the zone FSX did yet another of its disappearing tricks.
I'm having a look at the Southern area, hoping for better things.

One thing that, already, has struck me is that it's safest, at present, to regard FSX as a clean sheet, not to be contaminated with anything designed for FS9 and below. It's not that the FS9 stuff reduces performance; I haven't noticed that. It's more that I suspect it promotes instabillity. Those of you whose grey cells permit will recall we had the same problem when FS9 hit the streets. It wasn't long before we discovered that the FS2002 scenic addons that relied on Macros prompted lockups, phone homes and all sorts of havoc. I'll be removing my own stuff as well, to play safe. It's then a waiting game until scenery starts to appear that's been designed especially for FSX. Meanwhile there's always FS9 to rely on.

The quality of the other two vols of Horizon scenery is such that the absence of VFR Addons Autogen isn't noticed. Horizon are committed to producing bespoke AG and stickyups so thats something to anticipate.

Its nice to have to eat ones words and that is certainly the case when I recall a lack of enthusiasm for FSX's future use of moving road traffic. In fact I find it adds enormous realism and is of a far higher quality than anticipated. Takeoffs from the like of Gloucestershire see me holding the aircraft down, after takeoff, to incrtease speed. In fact it's because I can't resist the temptation to take a closer look at the Motorway traffic.