[jhb_airlines] FSX and FSConfig

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 12:59:03 +0000

In despair at the effect of FSConfig for FSX, I first downloaded it again, in the hope that something might have changed. It hasn't so they either haven't started to sort it or are unaware of the bugs. I've tried feeding info back but, although I'm logged in, the Forum says I'm unauthorised to respond to a posting on FSX drivers.

Taking a closer look at what's there, running FSConfig only showed up FSX. A bit of browsing shows that, unlike its predecessor, it has to be pointed to the locations of FS9 and FSX. Otherwise it may just go through the motions of updating.

With that done, the major bug is the inabillity to set the third digit of ADF frequency, plus the decimal place. Starting with the Baron G1000, I added the ADF adjust gauge from the Kingair. With this in it's apparent that although the third GF-45 digit doesn't change its window reading, it does change the frequency on the Baron's gauge. So adding the gauge is an acceptable workaround.

Next, the GF-P8 buttons that I've set up for Battery Master and Avionics Master work in reverse. But there's no facillity for setting it up. Here the glitch seems to lie with FSX. A look, eventually, at the Baron's popup Switch Panel shows that those two gauges are defaulted to the on position. Daft when all others on this dead aircraft are in the Off position. That means popping up the panel, after loading the aircraft, just to switch them off, so they can be switched off from the buttons! There must be a way of changing this so it's loaded with switches off, but I know not how.

The Baron's G1000 panel is quite realistic but, possibly indicating the advance of GPS, it has no ADG gauge. Again I've put one in; this time from the analogue Baron.

Who said it's supposed to work straight out of the tin?