[jhb_airlines] Re: FSX and A320

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 13:41:02 +0100

MS have always produced poor bitmap sets for the default aircraft. They look
detailed enough but the whole exterior airframe tends to be bunged onto just
one bitmap - great from a distance but woeful close up.

What I did notice about the FSX textures is that aircraft now have three
externals bitmaps. One is the texture itself with a 256 bit Alpha channel. A
second is called bump and I guess this is bump mapping - the bitmap itself
being nothing but various shades of blue. A third is called spec and I guess
this is for specular highlighting.

All three bitmaps were present in the Baron folder but as I couldn't use FSX
I never found out what they produced on the visual model.