[jhb_airlines] FSX XML gauges

  • From: FrankTurley@xxxxxxx
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 12:26:57 EST

This week's lessons -

Use both the ACE tool and XML Notepad for editing. ACE is good for setting
up new gauges and elements as it provides a table of properties to be
completed,  and it also has layout guides for the various elements and the
mouse areas.
XML  Notepad is useful to see the detail only where you need to as it only
explodes  the view where requested, whereas ACE explodes the complete view by
default. XML  is easier for tidying up as it allows cut and paste easily and
has
a handy  "nudge" facility to move nodes around the list, so you can keep the
project in a  logical sequence. Both may be used for editing. I think the XML
Notepad produces  smaller XML files, but I haven't looked to see why yet.

Funnies while testing the autopilot led me to examine the various
aircraft.cfg files, in particular what lies beneath the [Autopilot] heading. If

Autopilot_Available=1 then it should be there, and the same goes for
Flight_Director_Available=1. Autothrottle_Available=1 allows access to the AT
toggle and
associated speed settings. Yaw_Damper_Gain=1.0 allows access to the  Yaw
Damper,
this is required as the YD function is not there as part of the AP.  I need to
do some more research here too. It may be that the design of  a generic AP
may be difficult, given the variations between aircraft.cfg  files.

I have also found that a gauge developed using ACE does not appear to work
in FS2004. I need to do some more work on this, in particular by looking at the
 generated XML code, to see if I can spot the cause of the problem here, as
it  would be good to have gauges that worked in both versions. More research
required again.

What started as a simple gauge project seems to have grown into doing more
research than I thought, but it has been interesting, and is keeping me
occupied  while waiting for the new generation hardware to emerge. I looked at
Tom's
Hardware site today, I see new generation graphic cards have been announced
by  nVidia, for DX10, but I guess it will be some time before we see them  here.

Frank T.