[jhb_airlines] Re: FSX - XML Gauges

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 12:24:03 +0100

Can you send me the XML code?

From: jhb_airlines-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 18 October 2006 08:26
To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [jhb_airlines] Re: FSX - XML Gauges

In a message dated 18/10/2006 02:57:08 GMT Daylight Time, bones@xxxxxxx
writes:

Having not seen this tool I can only guess as to what it is trying to do.
With FS2004 you write the XML code in Notepad and then bang this file, plus
the bitmaps, into a CAB file using VCAB.exe. By the sound of it ACE.exe
appears to be doing all this in one operation.

All I can tell you is that your old FS2004 XML files and bitmaps still work
in FSX. In FS2004 you could keep all these files "loose" i.e. not wrap them
up in a CAB, and they would still work. I've not tested this in FSX so I
can't say whether the CAB route is now mandatory or not.

bones

Bones,

You are correct, the old 2004 XML files work in FSX. My objective was to
bring the source code into the new format, as I think that once I get
familiar with it the ACE tool will make the gauges easier to maintain and
modify.

The ACE tool just produces the XML code. By dragging the folder containing
your source files onto the CABDIR icon in the SDK a CAB file appears by
magic.

I have experimented with the "loose" files approach, and it appears to work
with the demo sample file supplied. If I could get my gauge to work I'd be
more confident about that answer!

What the whole process lacks at the moment is an XML file parser which is
clever enough to tell me why my gauge doesn't appear! I think I must have
left at least one essential property in the wrong state, its tracking this
down that's a problem. If some genius can come up with this the whole
process would be much simplified.

Frank T.