[jhb_airlines] Re: FSX; Second Reaction

  • From: Mr Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 17:58:29 +0100

A flight from London City, via the South Coast, to Belle View Farmstrip,
cleared a few uncertainties. The flight was made after installing the VFR GM
kit and my own sceneries.

Refineries appear but all objects are untextured. Ditto for pylons; whether
mine or any one else's. UK ANO objects suffer the same fate.
Ports and Farmstrips don't show at all, though the occasional farmhouse does.
None of the trees that fall within the farm sceneries show up.

If I add to this the lost FSNav access, lack of Eyepoint control, with 2D
panels, then dial in the fact that I won't consider reworking my own stuff,
that the only non Default airfield I'll have is Glasgow Extreme, then where
does that leave me, vis-a-vis FSX?

For all UK flying I'll be sticking with FS9 which, on this machine, gives me
access to all current sticky ups, airports etc, etc. It does this with high
fps, no blurries and all the systems in which I've invested over the years.

Where I'll definitely use it is for long distance flights, over areas not
blessed by photoscenery textures.

Unless I've missed something then it's an easy decision. OTOH it's hard to find
a logical reason why I should use FSX in the UK. The only significant sacrifice
is giving up its wet runways and sea effects. I've got the latter anyway, via
Bill Lyons' effects, to which FSX's bear a remarkable similarity.

Anyone going to shoot me down? I'd love to be wrong.

Gery Winskill

NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net