[jhb_airlines] Re: FSX SP2

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 15:45:18 +0000

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the delay but couldn't start the Bonnie, to let the engine run. Well, not until I remembered I'd not switched on the fuel!

I also forgot to comment on the effect of AI, which I'm always lothe to fly without. At one field I was testing recently, I could only get acceptable fps, on finals, by disabling AI. I had to disable it because it wouldn't react to sliders, since there was some residual DS9 AI on the system. Now it can be controlled by the sliders but at Oban I find it makes little difference, probably because there is little AI there as I'm flying. It's the actual active AI that influences framerates, rather than AI enablement in itself.

I'm tending to think that with my sliders where they normally sit, the framerates are quite acceptable and I can fly without any frustrating niggles. If I instal it and then have to spend time trying to get THTG, GF etc working, then that sounds a scenario I'd prefer to avoid.

Looking at reactions to SP2 is a bit like sitting in the umpire's seat, at Wimblegoon. Though I think the one that has just appeared on Horizon has some merit...."It does appear that if you were having problems then SP2 works wonders, if you had everything working well then SP2 messes eveything up."

Gerry Winskill

wrote:

My settings differ from yours...

Airline Traffic  80%
GA Traffic   80%
Airport Vehicles  low
Road Traffic  31%
Ships and Ferries  74%
Leisure Craft   73 %

OK a quick experiment this morning, I mirrored your settings and immediately
dropped from mid to late 20's down to late teens, early 20's.

The biggest hit on frame rates is AI. Dropping these down again took me back
up quickly.

Worth ewxperimenting with.