[jhb_airlines] Re: FSX SP2

  • From: "bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 17:47:25 -0000

In truth unless a scenery design package comes out for FSX2 then design will
go the same way as for aircraft - limited to those who can work from the
ground up or move to payware design teams.

I still have 19 design programs on my system but I doubt any will be truly
suitable for FSX. As scenery design output has always been relative to the
programs available, scenery has always varied between versions. FS98 had an
incredible number of design tools and it showed in the number of scenery
files that came out. I'd go so far as to say design peaked with this
version. FS2000 had none unless you count a code program for converting 256
colour bitmaps into terrain mapping.

FS2002/4 had far fewer design tools but enough to make good scenery. With
the prime 3D object tool moving to GMax and the 2D design being catered for
by AFCAD it wasn't really essential to have anything else unless you wanted
to play with terrain mapping or coastlines - few users got involved with
LandCalc, LWMDraw, Coastline Maker or Ground2K4.

For FSX I suspect that it will become harder. 3D objects can still be made
with GMax or FSDS provided the new texture format is obeyed. 2D will be
tricky unless AFCAD is upgraded to FSX standard - it being the only tool
that allowed 2D manipulation. My own feeling is that, like aircraft design,
MS is squeezing out the amateur builder and only those who knuckle down to
the more complex art will survive. We still have freeware aircraft but they
are from a small band of really good designers like Rick Piper who know
their stuff. Scenery may well go the same way.