[jhb_airlines] Re: FSX SP2

  • From: "Paul Reynolds" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 15:06:38 -0000

I've been running the Acceleration pack for a few weeks and generally I'm
impressed.  I'm getting stable frame rates in the mid 20's.  I have to say
that I think we're in that phase where the real benefits are yet to be
realised.  OK so there are backward compatability issues but, I'm led to
believe, these are where designers have deviated from the FSX SDK standard.

OK so this is really irritating if, like Gerry, you have designed scenery
which is running OK but then throws a wobbler when the software is patched.
I can understand how frustrating that is but I think these are teething
troubles that as SP2 settles down we'll leave behind us. Gerry's issues of
incompatability with SP2 are because of elements being combined using drag
and drop software for placement.  As he has only have partial control over
the initial design elements, any problems with those not specifically
designed by him can cascade down causing problems with the finished product.
Where he is controlling the design, he can update to account for changing
standards.

Actually I find it interesting that as Aces design FS11 they've already
indicated they do not intend to support backward compatability. So any hopes
of designing work to carry over is dead before it's started!  Or is it? If
any design you do moving forward is done on a modular (object orientated)
basis it should be relatively easy to update to reflect changing standards.

For those who wonder how I'm getting the stable mid 20's frame rates, here's
how my set up using the 8800GTS:

Within FSX:

Graphics:
Frame Rate : Unlimited
Global Texture : V. High
Lens Flare : On
Light Bloom : Off
Avanced Animation : On
Info Text : Continuous
Filtering Annisotropic (see Graphics Card settings below)
Anti-Aliasing : Off (see Graphics Card settings below)

Aircraft:
Set Ultra-High
3-D Virtual Cockpit : On
Aircraft Casts Shadows on ground : On
Aircraft casts shadows on self : On
Aircraft landing lights illuminate ground : On

Scenery:
Level of detail Radius: large
Mesh Complexity: 100
Mseh Resolution : 1m
Texture Resolution: 7cm
Water effects: Max. 2X
Land Textures : On
Scenery Complexity: Sparse
Autogen density: Sparse
Ground Scenery Shadows : Off
Special Efects Details : Medium

Weather:
Cloud Draw distance : 60mi/96km
Thermal visulaization: Off
Detailed Clouds : Maximum

Traffic:
Airline Traffic: 7%
General Aviation: 7%
Airport vehicle density: minimum
Road vehicles: 0%
Ships & Ferries : 15%
Leisure Boats 15%

Other graphics settings (set outside FSX):
Anti-Aliasing : On, Supersampling 4xS with Gamma Correction
Anisotropic Filtering : On, 8x
Texture Quality : Quality
Trilinear Optimization : On
Negative LOD BIAS : Clamp