[jhb_airlines] Re: FSX Official Add-On Acceleration

  • From: "Mike Brook" <mike.brook@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 12:58:50 -0000

> These days, hardware development is way ahead of software, I can
> remember
> when software drove hardware development, yes I am showing my age
> here.

I'm not sure that I agree that H/W dev is now way ahead of S/W.  This
is certainly true when it comes to the much neglected FS but the S/W
developers writing gaming S/W for the great unwashed masses are more
than capable of keeping up with H/W developments (S/W development is a
LOT cheaper than H/W development of the sort now needed) and the H/W
developers are still finding it difficult to stay one step ahead (as
they always have done!).

> Do you remember when the DOS OS came on a 5 and a quarter inch
> floppy?? even
> the first Windows came on a few of the latest 3 and a half
> stiffies. I do.
>
> These days, it is a couple of DVDs or more uugh!
>
> Enough.
>
> FF

Ooooh, don't get me started down that road or I'll start reminiscing
about my 1967 experiences with an Elliot 803
http://www.sli-institute.ac.uk/~bob/elliott803.htm
(they were very proud of their 'portable' version which fitted in the
back of a Landrover), or of writing and debugging huge proggies in
Fortran IV and being able to visually read punched tape, or
clandestinely getting a huge Hewlett Packard 2116B mainframe to play
Xmas Carols in 1970, or buying an HP-35 calculator in 1972 and an
HP-65 in 1974 (still got it!), or using a DR-DOS OpSys on a 286, or
laboriously writing in Cobol, Basic and Machine Code or buying a
Compaq 386 (for my Company) that cost GBP8000 in 1986, or struggling
with the really early versions of Windoze, or wasting a grand on a
RISC cored BBC Archimedes box of rubbish, or, or ...

M.