[jhb_airlines] Re: FSX Official Add-On Acceleration

  • From: "franklyn fisher" <ff006c5886@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 11:24:16 -0000

Mike

That sounds like a heavy spec and well future proofed.

Cannot see any gain for quad or duo for FS at the moment, others may say different, and bearing in mind that software writers are very slow to rewrite to take advantage of the multi cores, and it will take years to recode for that. So for software to take advantage, it is still a way down the line.

The only real advantage will be for multitasking.

I have a budget of around 2 grand, and hope to be able to buy a complete new setup with controllers/multi screen etc, which means having to compromise a bit on the computor side.

My current machine copes quiet well with what I run, and yes FS9 runs like a rocket, will everything cranked up, and I have no plans for upgrading to Vista, so my new machine will be FSX specific, networked to my current.

Regards video, a single or dual 8800 could be OTT, and stepping down to an 8600 will save a few bucks, and still run what you want. But that is your choice.

Again FSX is not currently geared for it.

These days, hardware development is way ahead of software, I can remember when software drove hardware development, yes I am showing my age here.

Do you remember when the DOS OS came on a 5 and a quarter inch floppy?? even the first Windows came on a few of the latest 3 and a half stiffies. I do.

These days, it is a couple of DVDs or more uugh!

Enough.

FF