[jhb_airlines] Re: FSX Ninja Rant

  • From: Kev Townsend <175@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 09:11:07 +0000

Carl Edwards response to the Taylor Blog

Carl is probably the leading artist in FS scenery alongside Gary Summer. He is responsible for Fairford, London, Farnborough etc

"For the last 10 years or so, Graphics Artists have just been waiting for Games to catch up...we've been using bump, specuality, reflective and light maps for a damn long time in films, renders and TV work..........and the funny thing is, you get used to it.....it doesn't change.......an Alpha Channel Transparency 10 years ago, is still an Alpha Channel Transparency today......

Yet in FSX, even these simple things seem to be broken......where a tree in the background, will "draw" IN FRONT of the tree in the foreground?????????????...ain't much I can do about that...lol. But it gets worse........even the single Tree on it's own has sorting issues, with "branches" at the back of the tree, showing up in front of the tree like some bizarre impossible 3D drawing....???(I'm not talking Autogen here, but MAX Scenes)

There are so many issues like this with FSX it makes my head hurt....what has worked for years, all of a sudden creates utterly bizarre visual artifacts? And with such simple things a 2/8 Bit Alpha channels?......

Then of course there is the backward compatibility issue.......people have spent THOUSANDS of pounds building their sims..........and I think the sim community is going to be severely tested with respect to "starting again" with FSX........

I mean,...when FSX I comes out, is everything going in the bin again?......I think Microsoft should address these concerns, and you can bet your arse that I'm not going to build London a 3rd time.....

I think I should get a job at Microsoft, and stick a boot in their arse...frankly....

Don;t get me wrong, as I stated at the very beginning, I think FSX promises great potential, and we're already seeing visuals that blow FS9 out of the water.......but good grief, we're trying to simulate a planet here...and it's not like a team of people can keep re-building it every 3 years......if MS want a "Digital Planet", then they better make sure that both the old stuff, and the new..."work".....and at this point, neither of them do in FSX.....not properly anyway......

S'a good job they just make a Flight Sim, and not real planes....I mean, would you get on a plane if they said "Well, it's a bit late to market, and we could do with ironing out some issues, and we're not quite finished with the testing, but hop on board.........lol.

My Arse, I'll take the Bus mate...........I think they need a reality check to be honest, and I'd love to give 'em one......

This is not new news mind you, myself and other developers were saying this long before FSX hit the street.....so if we knew it wasn't ready, then I'm sure they knew it too.........and Phil seems to say as much in his Blog.

Very disappointing, and worrying to be honest....I mean, if we hack away at Farnborough and London, and find clever ways to get around the issues....and then in February, Microsoft comes out with a patch....does that mean what we're doing now, will have to be re-done...AGAIN???......very very frustrating times.....

FSX in 3 Words?

Sweet and Sour....

Full Thread here
< http://www.visualflight.co.uk/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6547>