[jhb_airlines] Re: FSX Horizon Scenery

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 20:11:09 +0000

Next gripping Horizon saga instalment.

One of the forum contributors explains the mountain top seawater, thus

"What you are seeing is the FSX interpretation of water at different levels. At each change in level it assumes that it is a "rocky cascade" so textures the water with rock.

There is a Terrain.cfg fix on many FS forums.

George"

Still flying South I find I need this fix even more desperately. Heading from Blackpool to Barton, I approach the M6. The FSX Autogen traffic is quite stunning. Descending to 1400', for the run down the low level corridor would normally take the VFR textures out of focus. In this case I can identify the difference between cars, lorries and tankers. Amazing. A bit less impressive is the fact that the traffic then travels into a stretch of sea that isn't anywhere there. Barton will be under water, which should please floatplane addicts no end. When I was at Barton in FSX last week it was dry. Ergo it must be the new VFR scenery's mesh that has produced this biblical crossing. What I can't quite get my head around is why, since FSX preceeded the VFR, can it simply be laid at the door of FSX. If I designed an addon that became nonsensical, when added to the base scenery, I'd like to think I'd hang back until I had a solution. Meanwhile I'll see what happens if I can deactivate the VFR meshes.

Gerry Winskill

Gerry Winskill wrote:

With the higher resolution there are textures present. The problem seeems to be that all flat surfaces, whether at normal ground level or at mountain top, are interpreted as seawater! Don't know who Beta tested this scenery but an area as large as the Lake District is hard to miss!
When flying in a Southerly direction the problem disappears at N54 29 88.

Gerry Winskill

FrankTurley@xxxxxxx wrote:

Gerry,
Definitely a "hole" in the Lake District, flying north out of Walney Island its ok to start with, then suddenly the mountains are all dark green. The mesh is there as the mountains are shaped, but they are definitely not textured. Frank T.