[jhb_airlines] Re: FSX Garmin

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 21:38:55 +0000

After an FSX GPS controlled flight from Belfast City to Biggin, in a light aircraft and this evening's weather, I'm quite impressed.

With the right buttons pressed, it followed the plan unerringly. The only disconcerting fact is that it doesn't feed headings into the GF display, so an actual heading of 198 still leaves the GF heading at the takeoff runway's 04 value.

With about 10 dme to go I engaged the procedural approach for runway 21. Although no APPR engaged it took me to the runway centreline then behaved just as if the localiser, but not the glideslope, had been captured. To see what would happen I left the AP Alt at 2000. As it crossed the threshold it automatically went into MAP mode and took me on a very nice curved approach to the appropriate MAP intersection. At that point it went into a racetrack hold pattern. Part way through I disabled the GPS hold, turned it onto base leg and engaged APPR. Down through the mist to the threshold; all done by kindness. I couldn't have done that, in fully automatic mode, in FSNav. Still pages full of Manual features to be tried.

Gerry Winskill

Gerry Winskill wrote:

Thanks to list advice I got the NAV GPS switch to react to a GF button. That's the good news. It had no effect on the aircraft, which went straight on at the next Flightplan intersection. I must be missing something; again.

Is your NAV/GPS switch set to GPS?

Do you want me to tell you when BRT4326 is airborne or are you going to be
on your way to the airport? I should pick him up at maybe 500ft or so.