[jhb_airlines] Re: FSX First Update

  • From: "Paul Reynolds" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 14:38:39 -0000

Let's be clear here Gerry,

It's par for the course for M$ to issue it's products and wait for the
proverbials to be hitting the fan then before getting it's team to clean up
the mess claiming how wonderful they are, how responsive to customer needs
etc.

What they seem to have lost sight of is the initial impact often makes or
breaks a product.  If the feedback from users is it's sluggish, or is
riddled with problems then there's those among us who would have switched
will either not do so or will hold fire for some considerable time.  I
believe it's been rushed to hit a release slot but should have been held
until Vista and DX10 were out.  Having had to patch the Humber Bridge in
FS9, I cannot believe it didn't occur to someone to check if it was OK in
FSX so there's no excuse for the types of problems being witnessed at
Tyneside.  It's just shoddy and using the punters as beta testers is very
much in evidence.  They'll gather the reports, group them together and then
issue the patch.  Meanwhile DX10 and Vista will be released and they'll tell
us all that the patch has been optimised to take advantage of the new
routines.  In other words, upgrade your OS/hardware if you want to run this
properly.

I believe firmly that M$ is taking advantage and has made a token gesture of
backward compatability when the reality shows the product is not finished
and should only really be run on an as yet unavailable platform.

I also feel sorry for Mally, with the Horizon tie-in and with Just Flight
rushing to deliver a competing product he would have been under pressure to
deliver.  I suspect there was an element of using early buyers as guinea
pigs but then those early buyers are more than likely the hardcore
enthusiasts and therefore more likely to persist to resolve the issues.
With how the development of the FS2002 version went as outlined on this
list, I'm not surprised they've adopted that position, I would have done the
same.

For me, I admire Frank T, Gerry, Peter etc.  I'll happily let you be the
beta testers and I'll probably reap the rewards when I eventually take the
plunge.  In doing so I'll no doubt get a cleaner install and, hopefully, a
better experience "out of the box".

Keep up the good work lads!