[jhb_airlines] Re: FSX; First Reaction

  • From: Mr Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 17:22:26 +0100

I went to the library, to cool off, after which, showing no courage of
conviction, I activated the damned thing on the phone. To be fair, once I'd
jumped in it was quite civilised.

So, off I went, to look at Default IOM.
Initial fps was locked at default thirty and showing a smooth 29. With Autogen
turned up to about three quarters, fps unlocked,it dropped to about 20. At that
it was quite smooth and useable.

Ronaldsway looks more like Stavanger, set amongst fir trees.
The topography is definitely streets ahead of previous Default versions.
The autogen buildings less repulsive but appearing at altitudes from which
farmers fled, years ago and to which whennies haven't been drawn. The pylons
look realistic but one of the great blessings of Island life is their total
absence from the Manx scene. I guess I'm hair splitting.

I turned on the rain, after landing, and I really do like the effect. An
outside view showed spray being thrown up by the wheels.
 The outside view of the C172, as in the Demo, was much poorer than in FS9,
with the go faster lines all with blurred edges.

I was surprised to find that some sections of the coastline, but not all, were
sawtoothed.

One of the pleasanter surprises was the unexpected appearance of light
turbulence, on finals to 08. In fact I suspect that flight behaviour may be
improved. It was easy to set up the correct speeds then control rate of descent
on the throttle.

A few things I couldn't get to work. Although it had cleverly picked up my yoke
and pedals, some of the assignments weren't as I have them set in FS9. When I
tried to change assignments it wouldn't accept the changes. Any suggestions
please?

Nor could I, in 2D mode, get any eyepoint changes, from Shift Enter or Shift
Backspace.

First reaction is that it's a step forward in some areas, whilst unco-operative
in others.

Gerry Winskill

NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net