[jhb_airlines] Re: FSX Demo

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 15:39:56 +0100

I think I'll get more out of the £200 I've just invested in the Matrox TripleHead device, plus eventual extra monitors, giving me an FS9 wide view.

If I look at much of what FSX is going to provide then I'm unlikely to benefit from it to the same extent. My GA flying is over the two existing European photoscenery areas. If VFR scenery emerges for Scotland, then that opens up an even wider area to be explored. And in which to do the odd farm strip. All of which means I won't benefit from the improved Autogen, provided out of the box. I can't see the VFR Addon AG team rushing to duplicate their work for FSX.

If I desert VFR for the heavy metal then I'm definitely going to be hit by the gauge incompatibillity issue. Since I never fly the disappointing Default FS9 heavy metal, I can't imagine I'll be eager to do so in FSX. Moreover most of the work I've put into redesigning panels, to suit my intrument designated second monitor, will have to be repeated, as and when acceptable gauges become available

I like the FS9 water effects but get those in FS9 via the Bill Lyons effects. I never fly in spot view, so won't derive much pleasure from any additional plane related eye candy.

The flight planning, I already have via FSNav and FSMeteo provides better clouds than FSX.

In FS9 I'm close to being able to get very acceptable performance, with sliders maxed. I'm affronted by the FSX team's assertion that if you wish to run with sliders maxed then you will always be dissapointed. If Mazda had published the performance data for my car, then told me it was unreasonable to expect to have access to that performance, I'd be off to the Fair Trading Dept!

Of the features I've seen so far, the only one I'll be reluctant to pass up on, by sticking with FS9, is the wet runway effect. They have not made much of this feature, in the marketing blurb, which makes me wonder whether the designers have little time left for flying, as opposed to designing.

Many people may find themselves backed less into a corner, so there will be many to whom FSX offers very definite attractions, so it will almost certainly sell well.

The one fly in the ointment is that as I write this I have a feeling I said pretty much the same after I'd invested in FS9. Somewhere I've still got a folder marked FS2003...

Gerry Winskill

Mike Brook wrote:

Bones -

I couldn't possibly have written a more rational & logical assessment of
FSX based on the demo than you have just done!

I've already made my decision and I will not be buying FSX in
the immediate future (...) - so I will stick with FS2004
until I have caught up.

Me too (in Spades...!)

MikeB
JHB193