[jhb_airlines] Re: FSX Demo

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:56:24 +0100

The dreaded Autoinstal strikes again!
I usually fire up FS9 from a folder containing my Saved Situation files. I've just tried it and they have all been modified, so that they attempt to boot up FSX. Since FSX doesn't contain the airfields, or aircraft, in the saved sitation FSX just hangs! I now have to boot FS9 from its ikon, then relocate. Grrrrr

Gerry Winskill

Gerry Winskill wrote:

Well, that's one way of spending the morning, installing SP2.
Which leads me to the first question; do I disable ZoneAlarm or the MS firewall? At the moment ZA seems to sidelined by XP.

With SP2 installed, the FSX Demo could be installed. What a shock. It's like going back to the dark ages. I just managed to do a circuit in the Baron. This despite the fact that it only runs in VC and the views outside make the Vulcan's look like a conservatory. If the final version only has VC then I'll definitely not be buying it.
The available options, warnings about uncompleted features, all make me wonder why they took the risk of issuing the Demo, in its present state. Even the exterior views of the Baron don't seem to be up to FS9 standards.
I think the Default ground textures look better than FS9 but I could see so little that I can't be sure.
What an anticlimax. Or am I overlooking significant goodies?

It more than likely is. I think you might have to bite the bullet and
install XP2 - not the least because many programs are now seeming to need
it. I've grabbed a few in the last few months that ask for your OS version
and XP2 is listed separately from XP.