[jhb_airlines] Re: FSX Demo

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 02:39:13 +0100

My own testing has ground to a halt too.

I tried the jet landing at St Maartens mission just now but no gauges would
appear in the aircraft - except by switching to 2D mode. Oddly enough you do
this by pressing F10 which used to be the checklists - these are now demoted
to SHIFT F10. It's interesting that a key command has been assigned
specifically to 2D - it shows that many beta testers must have wanted it,
despite MS trying to push the VC as the main view to use.

I also spent some time going through all the key commands to remap my
joystick - and there are a heck of a lot of new ones. Of especial interest
was a whole swathe of assignments for every possible FMS function plus
another lot for GPS. These are not currently assigned to keys so my guess is
that they will be picked up by FSUIPC to be run through another controller.
I bet it will not be long before we see an FMS keyboard replica appearing
for FSX.

Testing has not been grounded by the above but by a more serious issue - my
outside view has packed in. All I am getting outside the windscreen now is
garbage - totally corrupt visuals for sky and ground. For some reason 3D
objects appear fine but with no horizon to fly to and no airports to see
it's a total washout. See the screenshot at
http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/WebPix/FSX.jpg to see what I mean. In the
shot above there is a bit of sky and (almost) a sort of horizon - but this
only lasted a second. Most of the time the outside view is completely filled
with random tiled bitmaps from the Texture folder and a sky full of
aptsign.bmp is very odd indeed.