[jhb_airlines] Re: FSX Demo

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 21:18:34 +0100

Included in the unacceptable gauges are those for the FS9 Airbus series. A definite deterrent.

I'm baffled that they've issued this Demo. Had it not become available I would probably have bought FSX at launch. Having seen the demo I won't. For the money I was prepared to spend on a system to cope with FSX, I could get one that would have FS9 screaming along. Now didn't I hear exactly that said when FS9 was launched? Must be an echo.

To be fair XML gauges were supposed to be the norm with FS2004 but as this
was backward compatible with FS2002 designers just kept bunging out GAU
files. It has only been in the last year that I looked at XML seriously and
remade the Tiger Panel - and am still playing with the Aztec rebuild.

XML gauges are mostly contained in a CAB file which collects the XML and
bitmaps into one nice package. Some designers don't have a CAB creator so
you might also spot individual XML files in your Gauges folder together with
a sprinkling of "loose" bitmaps. These would almost be impossible to sort
out and port over to FSX.