[jhb_airlines] Re: FSX Crispyness

  • From: "Frank Turley" <frank.turley1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 17:04:17 -0000

Gerry,

I'm using 4G of memory with Vista 32.

Frank T.

To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 10:33 AM
Subject: [jhb_airlines] FSX Crispyness

Three things seem to dominate forum discussions, as the factors most
affecting FSX performance; Core numbers, Graphics Card Memory and system
RAM. Of thes, I've already got a decent processor and graphics card bot
increasing the RAM would involve a change to Viata 64 and that's a step
too far!

Since I can't access more RAM I decided to minimise the load on my
existing 2Gb. I've mentioned this before.

So, why repeat it today? I've just been taxiing out for takeoff, at TM's
current project, Greenham Common. I couldn't help noticing that some of
the new buildigs' textures weren't as sharp as I'd expected. Then I
spotted that the normally realistic nearby AutoGen trees were a bit
fuzzy. I tried the effect of reducing AG, switching off AI etc. My
texture quality sliders are already at max. None of the changes made any
difference. In this sort of situation the next approach is to think what
else may have changed, since it was all sharp.

Over the weekend I've been playing about with a mix and match version of
Heathrow. I've been doing the same thing at London City. Because I'm
intending to try a flight to Canada, I've also put in third party fields
at Keflavik and Toronto City Centre. Last week I started a flight from
Leeds...... So, I did what I have been supposedly doing for some time; I
exited FSX and went to the library option. There I worked my way down
the list, unticking the fields I mentioned, plus a couple of others. It
doesn't seem logical that Toronto should influence anything in the UK
but FSX is said to have an illogical liking for loading far away
sceneries. That leaves me with UK VFR and four of Tony Meredith's plus
Ted Andrews Kirkbride enabled. Also ticked are all my farm strips, plus
all the non airfield stuff like UK ANO and refineries.

Back to the Saved situation at Greenham and everything was now razor
sharp! It works and it's a zero cost improvement.

Al I do next time I want to make a routine flight is alter my
Scenery.cfg file, to change from False to True the relevant lines on my
intended start and finish airfieds; if they aren't Default fields. I'll
also change Greenham from True to False.

The way in which FSX hides the Scenery.cfg file is convoluted, so I have
a shortcut to it on my Desktop. Open this and it can be edited and
saved, ready to be effective in its revised form, when next FSX is
booted up.

So, if you suffer the blurries and have already used the known tweaks,
this route is well worth trying.