[jhb_airlines] Re: FSX Addons

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 11:35:00 +0000

Returning to FS9, later, I tried the PAD version. I'd been put off using that before by the overcomplexity of its panel options. Using my EMB170 panel, instead, I did a couple of hours in it and the AOA feature isn't present with this aircraft. Again it's a touch overpowered, unless its power is geared to shorter runway takeoffs and it will, indeed, cruise at M 0.81 with less than 70% thrust. Must read the published flight data.

As lift varies with the square of the speed AoA shouldn't alter
significantly over a relatively small speed range such as when on final
approach. The CRJ900 is small winged so it probably has a high AoA anyway -
but this shouldn't develop to silly levels.

Flaps make far more difference and should bring the nose down a lot. If the
AoA remains excessive with full flap down then something isn't quite right.
Either the flap's lift factor isn't high enough or the wing lift is too low
in the first place.

There are lots of shots of landing CRJ900's on airliners.net - I can't say
the AoA looked really bad on any of them. I'll have another look though.