[jhb_airlines] Re: FSX

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 02:55:41 +0100

Thank you Peter.

It does indeed recognise DXT5 images so it should not be a problem for
FS2004 designers to rework their textures for FSX. Luckily the same function
is available in DXTBmp and it was this I used for the Tiger Moth.

I am now wondering what standard scenery bitmaps are designed to. Gerry says
that the UK ANO textures don't show up in FSX so maybe they need to go the
DDS route. Having said that I found that the old Tiger DXT1 bitmaps worked
fine in FSX but they stayed blurry.

Taking this one stage further I also recall that when I designed the
original UK ANO objects I tried to use as many default FS2004 bitmaps as
possible to keep sizes down. The only specific bitmaps were for Crystal
Palace, the pylons and Emley Moor. I'm therefore guessing that FSX may no
longer have the original FS2004 bitmaps included (or they are renamed as DDS
files) and this may be the reason textures are missing. Most masts were made
with the sco_noaa_antenna_grey.bmp texture file so if this isn't in FSX then
masts won't be other than grey.

Location of bitmaps may also be more critical in FSX and here I can't offer
any advice.