[jhb_airlines] Re: FSX

  • From: franklyn fisher <ff006c5886@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 15:55:01 +0100

The idea of locking down, is more ,I think, to do with MP sessions. The amount of data that is sent around the network in packets, needs to be kept down, to ensure that all players get an equal amount of low volume data. And FR data is included.

Server lag, aircraft jumping around etc, is the bane of MP sessions.

whether the new version of FSX overcomes this, has yet to be seen.

And yes, with a flight group locking down, it seems to make a difference.

For solo flying, let it rip.

Frank

Bones wrote:
I don't agree with this idea of locking down FS to a theoretical 27.7 fps. I ran tests of this back in FS4 days and found that the frame rate isn't just about screen refreshes but actual sim performance too. Flight performance calculations limited to 27 per second make the aircraft behave very poorly compared to higher values. Once you get up to 75 or more you can see a marked difference in how the aircraft behaves - it is so much more fluid. Admittedly this has little value when poling a big tin bird around on autopilot all the time but it would be a serious shortcoming in aerobatics with a highly agile aircraft.
I also hate to say this but I bin a lot of aviation charts and data here too. Having got the latest half mil (and a good few quarter mil too) the last lot went to a car boot sale. Most of the AERAD supplements go in the bin too as they are not worth hanging on to. Truth is that printed stuff goes out of date faster than the data we have in FS and most isn't worth keeping. If FSNav could be run as a stand alone application I would say that no printed data would be worth having.
Having said that I've just got the latest Bottlang UK and Ireland airfield plates for the VFR manual and so the spares will be kicking around for a few days. Note that these are not IFR pages so no instrument procedures are included - it is pure VFR flying stuff. An example of a plate is here -
http://www.flugplatz-scharnstein.at/images/BottlangAirfieldManualLOLC1.jpg
http://www.flugplatz-scharnstein.at/images/BottlangAirfieldManualLOLC2.jpg
The pages would be loose as I don't have a spare binder. Pay the postage and anyone is welcome to them - just send me an email off list.