[jhb_airlines] Re: FSX

  • From: "Alex - Reheat.org" <Alex@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 20:04:35 +0100

Hi Frank,

My only changes from the default currently are:

Dynamic Scenery slider set one notch down from default
"Aircraft casts shadows on self" turned off
AI Turned up to 100%
Weather refresh rate turned down one notch from default
Resolution set to 32 bit instead of 16.
Scenery Mesh turned up one notch from default.

Thats about it I think. There really aren't that many problems. In fact I can't replicate the problem displayed at Teeside! I've tried everything. must be a unique combination of settings.

And those of you FS Commander FsNAV users should spend £1.50 on a map and be real men ;)

Its all about tweaking i think.

Alex

franklyn fisher wrote:
Alex
How about a rundown on what you changed, and it's effect.
So far, the biggest criticism, has been about the scenery, or rather the bugged version, the scenery designers are going to have a big headache sorting that out.
That and FSNav/FSCommander and FSUPIC, will those with the previous paid versions have to pay again?
Not worried too much about machine spec. But having seen those screen shots, makes me rather dubious.
Frank

Alex - Reheat.org wrote:
Ok, this has indeed been a strange day

Started out by buying FSX, getting home, installing and being disappointed, very much so infact. The FPS I was getting really  left me feeling let down. 2 hours of playing however sorted this. One setting changed at a time, restart and see if it helps.

I now have a hard time to get the FPS to go below 20FPS.

My FSX is now vastly outperforming FS9 by a silly amount, it looks better acts better and is more stable. 70% of the default aircraft are payware quality. The UK Mesh really is rather good and at default settings is just as good as most payware mesh packages. The UK Autumn textures really are awful however, flick it on to summer, and all is good.

I'm going to spend tomorrow porting all of my XML Paneled (SP?!) aircraft over and I really think that, from now on, I am going to be doing 80% of my flying on here.

I think I allowed myself to be poisoned by all the naysayers, it really isn't bad. Its just as good as FS9 + Addons straight out of the box.

My machine is most certainly middle of the road these days, please don't not buy it because you don't think it will run. It really will. Right now I'm speaking to someone running it on a 1.8ghz PIII getting 15FPS quite comfortably. Its most definitely usable an will certainly give you a better experience than FS9 is currently.

A rather surprised Alex