[jhb_airlines] Re: FSX

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 13:14:04 +0100

I have indeed heard that story before but I can't vouch for its
authenticity.

We trained with Marshall's at Cambridge and the club instructors were no
less than the company's test pilots - fitting in our training between bouts
of taking C130's up (these were the C130K mods inserting the extra fuselage
sections). It wasn't unusual to get an R/T call from a landing C130 asking
us to start up the Cessna and taxi over to the aircraft after it had parked.
Brilliant fun for a student with just 15 or so hours in the log book -
especially as the Hercs often came in with two engines shut down.

My first forced landing with Doug set the tone for all future PFL's. At
3000ft he closed the throttle, called out "engine failure" and took me
through the drill. Field selected, checks complete and positioning nicely
onto final at 500ft I expected to hear a call to climb away. Nothing... At
300ft I recall thinking "this is fun" having never flown so low before. At
150ft I was developing mixed feelings but was still convinced the call to go
around would be coming up any second..

Not a few seconds later it dawned on me that we were really going to land in
the field. It wasn't fun anymore - I started to concentrate like hell for
the imminent landing. At just the right height I flared the aircraft, sure
that it was going to be good. Totally focussed on the imminent touchdown
then "Overshoot" said Doug.. I reckon our wheels must have only been inches
off the grass.

He did this every PFL. On every one I always reached the threshold at which
I was convinced we were going to land. As Doug rightly said - it doesn't
matter how well you set up the approach, the critical stage is the
touchdown. If you KNOW you are going to touch down at a safe speed, on a
good surface and with enough room to stop then the forced landing has taught
you endlessly more than one in which you go around at 500ft - never knowing
if the landing would really have been a success or not.

He went on. "At 500ft your brain had switched off. All the work from 3000ft
down had been to get the approach set up correctly - and by the time we got
down to 500ft we both knew the aircraft was in a good position to get into
the field. At that point you stopped thinking because you had done all the
work - you became a casual observer believing the job was done. When we
reached 300ft you were still just letting the aircraft float down, happy
that it was going to land more or less where you had picked. At 150ft the
smile went from your face because, for the first time, you began to realise
we might be landing AND YOU FINALLY STARTED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Up to
that point you hadn't even thought about an actual touchdown, it hadn't
entered your train of thought at all. By the time we flared you were totally
focussed on the landing and we both know it would have been a safe arrival."

Not all PFL's were as good and I got bawled out well and truly for the ones
I got wrong.

The instructors at Marshall's went well beyond the basic PPL syllabus in
many other spheres of our training and I am forever grateful for this. I
think this is where my fascination for theoretical aerodynamics started -
you could ask these guys almost ANY question as they really knew their
stuff.