[jhb_airlines] Re: FSX

  • From: FrankTurley@xxxxxxx
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:48:50 EDT

In a message dated 17/07/2006 15:53:08 GMT Daylight Time, gwinsk@xxxxxxx
writes:

I'm  thinking of having a new machine, just for FS, when the FSX version
surfaces..
It will need to access ADSL, for downloads and multiplay. I  guess the
existing machine will also need access, for email and non FS  downloads.
I can see myself turning to the list, for networking advice. But  not
just yet

Gerry,

I have 3 machines on my network, one is a rather elderly machine running
Windows 98, the next is around 6 years old (runs XP Home) and is my e-mail
machine, the third is around 3 years old (also runs XP Home) and is my flying
machine. I plan to buy a new machine for FSX (running Windows Vista), at which
point I'll retire the Windows 98 machine. I have broadband access from all
machines via a router.

I have set up all PCs to have their disk drives read/write accessed across
the network, so if I download flying stuff to the e-mail machine, I can copy it
 across easily to the flying machine.

When I fly on FPI I usually have Servinfo running on the e-mail machine,
which was a life-saver when we had all those comms problems.

The only area I had problems with was opening the correct ports on the
router to enable me to see other flyers on FPI. By trial and error I eventually

discovered the program on the CD that came with the router that did it, but it
wasn't mentioned in the manual. I recommend you ask about this before you buy
the router.

Frank T.