[jhb_airlines] Re: FSC Property

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 15:56:39 +0100

Peter,

I'd got the wrong end of the stick, thinking you'd started with Linux and swapped to XP Home.

I've had a look at your link and Xandros looks tempting. Is swapping over as simple as running the Xandros installation disk, or more complicated.

Will it access my XP based network?

Can I continue to use Thunderbird for mail or is there a Linux based prog?

More questions likely to follow.

Gerry Winskill

Peter Dodds wrote:
Gerry,
I bought the EEEPC deliberately as a means of continuing to explore Linux.
After installing "Ubuntu for the EEEPC" which didn't quite work properly,
and was still horribly user-unfriendly a la Linux Fraternity
Specifications (grin) I managed to install the Xandros version that came
with it (which the said linux Fraternity think is rubbish) - and I have
to say it is superb. Easy, intuitive, only has applications installed and
visible which any user would need; only does what I need it to do, help
messages that mean something (not the usual "to press any key when ready,
press any jkey when ready" sort of trash) all in less than 2Gb.  There is
a Console mode, but it is hidden unless you really want to poke around
under the bonnet.

Sorry for spoiling your day. On the other hand - you could try it..
http://www.xandros.com/products/home.html

Peter

*From:* Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
*To:* jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
*Date:* Fri, 27 Mar 2009 11:38:31 +0000

Peter,

As a fellow user, you might know.

Whilst we were in NZ, the eEEE, that had performed perfectly up to then, threw a wobbly. The house we'd rented had a wireless router but, sadly, it was password protected. One morning the eEEE decided it must be my fault and tried to show XP's Help screen on the subject. Again and again and again! At one count, when I was tring to cancel the error messages that kept popping up, it had 69 of the damned things running. That was followed by another message, that it was now out of virtual memory. System restores did nothing to help. I consulted the local Internet Cafe's guru, who said it was because XP was too big for Netbooks and it needed Linux. Since I'd had it running for about 6 weeks, and since I think you run yours with XP, it sounded like bovine excrita. Anyway, I put it away until we got back.

Back at base and I ran the XP recovery disk, from a USB DVD drive. Problem still there.

Any ideas out there? Other than entrusting it to the mail system and returning to the vendor.

Gerry Winskill

Peter Dodds wrote:
Its the same with Vatsim FSCommander gets its data from the Whazzup data
transfer system in both organisations that powers Servinfo (and
presumable IVAO Eye).

Didn't know you could get the FPs though.  That is handy.

Vatsim UK has had a severe DDOS attack recenctly which has wiped the UK Forum and UK-1 Server. The Us server was affected but was recovered. The mechanics of how these attacks destroy a PC I don't understand, but
someone here will know I'm sure.  I'd be interested.

Peter.