[jhb_airlines] Re: FPI next week

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 17:48:56 +0100

A pity you weren't here in the very early days when JHB was first started.

We began as the JHB (Johannesburg) hub of Noble Air and were based at FAJS.
Although the jet assignments were to the bigger airfields at FACT, FAEL,
FADN, FAUP etc etc the huge number of bush strips meant a lot of exploring
for the VFR pilots. Needless to say, the majority of pilots came from RSA
but we also had a few UK crews. Willie van Niekerk is  the last of my RSA
pilots.

I probably have the original list stuck away somewhere but can still recall
a few airfield names which, for some reason or other, remain stuck in my
memory. Maybe a couple of the pilots here will recall them too. They include
FABE Bisho, FABX Beatrix Mine, FALB Ladybrand, FATT Tutuka Power Station,
FAWM Welkom, FARB Richard's Bay, FAMG Margate, FACN Carnarvon and FAES
Eshowe.

Good days..