[jhb_airlines] FPI next week

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "JHB Email List" <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 04:28:48 +0100

Before we joined FPI some of my older and wiser pilots will recall the ATC
sessions I ran using the FSD server on my PC. These were confined to JHB but
were good fun and I think I can say that they cut the teeth of a good few of
us before stepping up to a full ATC online service.

One of the benefits of this was that I could select anywhere in the world
for our sessions and, for a change of scenery, I did this on a number of
evenings. It was fun to get away from the UK and hop around the Hawaiian
islands, Cape Town or wherever.

We may be doing the same on FPI next week. In a chat with Dave and John at
the end of the session on Wednesday the idea cropped up and so we may try it
out. The location will be the sunny Med but I can't confirm which airports
Dave will choose for the evening. A few were bandied about - Malta,
Heraklion, Tunis, Brindisi, Dalaman, Athens etc but Dave will do some
homework on distances before making a final decision.

The selected airports should be ILS equipped (I hope) and free of
STAR's/SID's so you won't have any need to lookup airfield procedures
(unless you want to). It should be a nice, simple and pleasant evening with
no complex flight planning and ATC to radar vector you to each destination.
About the only task I would suggest you do is check local terrain when Dave
publishes the destinations to make sure your route doesn't take you into
high ground. Places like Heraklion have some lumpy bits very close to the
airport.

Should be very good fun..

http://fsaviation.net