[jhb_airlines] Re: FPI last night

  • From: Mike Lucas <mhlucas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 12:19:24 +0000

Al

A pity that last night's voice server c*ck-up drove you and several others to give up (I nearly did myself - particularly since I had 2 FS lockups at the same time on the main PC). Everything had looked very promising initially, with a good turnout of pilots. It was only through a bit of tinkering and sheer bl**dy-minded persistence that I got voice working - eventually connection to ATC positions seemed to work on the third double-click on the required position. But it was necessary first to enter the new voice server IP address manually into the connection box. Unfortunately even private text messaging seemed unreliable. As you say, some advance warning would have been nice - the UK Wednesday session must be pretty well established by now. In fact the FPI team really ought to have found a better time to introduce such a change, and ironed out the wrinkles first.

After all the technical problems the session was, unsurprisingly, a bit of an anti-climax and a disappointment - although I personally had a very 'exciting' approach into ESGJ in 1500m vis. Well, that's what ESGJ_APP told me - it felt more like 500m, and a missed approach was very much on the cards when the lights fianlly appeared out of the murk. Anyone know the Swedish for 'sweaty palms'?

Mike L

Alastair wrote:
Bones

As you say, a bit of a disappointing night (to say the least).

Advance information from FPI would have made all the difference.

What is the point of having a nice website/forums if it they are not being used to communicate meaningful information.

I hope that the voice situation can be sorted out for the next session.

Speaking of that, for this coming Wednesday, just a suggestion.

How about a return to Hong Kong (Kai Tak!). The number of airports to be opened, dependant on the number of available controllers.

Cheers

Alastair