[jhb_airlines] Re: FPI last night

  • From: Kevin Townsend <175@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:42:36 +0100

I too had an enjoyable evening participating in the session last night.

I am experiencing exactly the problems reported today by Peter with my
attempt to use a 2 machine network.

I joined around 8.30 last night, but had difficulty in filing a flightplan,
no aircraft available in the drop down, and ATOC flags this. I saw myself
with information within ServInfo and flew from Biggin Hill (EGKB) to
Liverpool (EGGP), as I was experiencing problems I thought I would just
transit the Manchester Zone en-route as I was still experiencing problems.

Throughout the flight the ATOC module experienced unexpected errors and
closed itself down. This occurred every 3 - 4 minutes and around 10 times
in all. (This must have caused havoc with the controllers as I continued
flying throughout this time and must have been popping up all over the
place! (apologies all round).

I tried a re-install of the FPI software but things did not improve. I
decided to then install it on the FS9 machine and flew from thereon without
connection problems, and all aircraft now in the flightplan list. The
software reacted very much quicker than before in the network setup, so I
imagine there is a bottleneck somewhere! This is a pity as to be able to
fly on one machine and to run all the other services on another is
considerably more practical, particularly (as I now know - thanks
Bones)  all hand-offs are done within ATOC. I will continue to monitor the
network improvements and hope eventually to adopt this preferred method.

I continued with a radar vectoring service into Liverpool, and once things
quietened down, another into Birmingham (I think) Lousy landing blamed on
high workload. This enabled both controllers to experiment a little, but
was further confused by me now running the voice server on both machines
with only one mic - <G> although I had selected the hand-off within ATOC I
could not communicate on that channel although listeners on the other
machine channels could hear my replies, this caused a bit of a red herring
but was sussed by bones and the penny fell.

Looking forward to next week, after the Test Match.

Regards to all

Kev