[jhb_airlines] Re: FPI last night

  • From: Kevin Townsend <175@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:42:36 +0100

I too had an enjoyable evening participating in the session last night.

I am experiencing exactly the problems reported today by Peter with my 
attempt to use a 2 machine network.

I joined around 8.30 last night, but had difficulty in filing a flightplan, 
no aircraft available in the drop down, and ATOC flags this. I saw myself 
with information within ServInfo and flew from Biggin Hill (EGKB) to 
Liverpool (EGGP), as I was experiencing problems I thought I would just 
transit the Manchester Zone en-route as I was still experiencing problems.

Throughout the flight the ATOC module experienced unexpected errors and 
closed itself down. This occurred every 3 - 4 minutes and around 10 times 
in all. (This must have caused havoc with the controllers as I continued 
flying throughout this time and must have been popping up all over the 
place! (apologies all round).

I tried a re-install of the FPI software but things did not improve. I 
decided to then install it on the FS9 machine and flew from thereon without 
connection problems, and all aircraft now in the flightplan list. The 
software reacted very much quicker than before in the network setup, so I 
imagine there is a bottleneck somewhere! This is a pity as to be able to 
fly on one machine and to run all the other services on another is 
considerably more practical, particularly (as I now know - thanks 
Bones)  all hand-offs are done within ATOC. I will continue to monitor the 
network improvements and hope eventually to adopt this preferred method.

I continued with a radar vectoring service into Liverpool, and once things 
quietened down, another into Birmingham (I think) Lousy landing blamed on 
high workload. This enabled both controllers to experiment a little, but 
was further confused by me now running the voice server on both machines 
with only one mic - <G> although I had selected the hand-off within ATOC I 
could not communicate on that channel although listeners on the other 
machine channels could hear my replies, this caused a bit of a red herring 
but was sussed by bones and the penny fell.

Looking forward to next week, after the Test Match.

Regards to all


At 07:35 8/11/2004, you wrote:
>Well I had rather a frustrating time in some ways, and an
>excellent flight in others.  I flew Newcastle to Manchester via
>Pole Hill, IFR in the 172 at FL60.  I have FS on one machine, and
>ATOC and Servinfo on the other.
>First of all, in spite of checking that both PCs on my network
>could find the FS9 directory (on my desk machine), AND
>reinstalling one of the ATOC aircraft packs (Europe) before
>starting the ATOC software on the laptop I still couldn't see
>other aircraft, nor file a flight plan.  I even did a partial
>re-setup of ATOC, but no joy.
>Then, en route, I made my initial call 50 miles out from EGCC,
>and he acknowledged with a "stand by". I did, and I expected him
>to come back to me when I was some 10 - 15 miles north of POL.
>He didn't, so I reported again when overhead POL, which is about
>7 miles inside the Manchester TMA, (which I actually didn't have
>permission to enter <cough>).  When John said I wasn't on radar,
>(which is why he had forgotten me in the melee) and knowing that
>I couldn't see other aircraft, but they might see me and
>therefore I might get in their way, I diverted to Barton,
>descending rapidly to 1500 feet in the process to be able to see
>the ground.
>During the long leg from EGNC to POL, I heard that other pilots
>were having trouble contacting Tower, so I tried and connected
>successfully so far as I could tell (I got the little gong sound
>and my name appeared in the VOX window.)  I didn't do a voice
>check as that would have sown confusion)
>Then when I was approaching Barton, John suggested I disconnect
>and reconnect the server, and this enabled him to see me, so I
>chose to go back to EGCC for another go.  This was successful,
>and I established on the ILS and was handed over to Tower
>successfully.  No frequency change problem here. I have the
>default scenery only, so I was on the correct runway! There was
>obvious confusion on the ground and the ATCO (I'm sorry, your
>voice was unfamiliar, so I don't know who you are <g>) was having
>a battle with aircraft all over the place.
>So he asked me to go around - no problem - except that he then
>forgot about me (twice in one night - I'll get a complex) and
>when I was 9 miles south west of Manchester, still on the runway
>heading he gave me and maintaining 3000 feet as instructed, my
>wife informed me that a gutter had burst and water was pouring
>under the patio doors (the real and virtual weather were both
>terrible).  I have to confess that I was a bit irritated by now,
>so I simply switched off my PCs and left! Wonderful Windows XP
>means that it didn't create havoc with my files, so here I am
>this morning.
>In summary, I had no way of knowing the radar didn't pick me up,
>so I was puzzled why I got no ATC cover until I was inside the
>TMA. Not being able to see other aircraft or file a flight plan
>is a major pain. For me, the pleasure of on line flying is 30%
>having to be as disciplined as I would be real world flying, 30%
>live ATC and 30% being able to see other aircraft, so losing 2
>out of the 3 was a disappointment.  With the gutter problem, my
>petulence overcame my sang froid! Sorry Manchester Tower

Other related posts: