[jhb_airlines] Re: FPI and SquawkWin?

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 02:04:33 +0100

Very interesting reading indeed - as is the software.

To me this suggests that ATOC development is coming to a halt and this
is a pity. It is a nicely thought out bit of software with a few really
clever ideas - but I guess the guys who built it don't have the time to
develop it any further. As it is, the few snags with it make slightly
frustrating usage.

The ATOC screen has 10 buttons on it but we only use a few of them. I
suppose we would use a lot more if they all worked as intended. Here's
what I think..

SYS - defaults to this in first starting but it is a fairly boring
screen. We can see our FS Host Session and our callsign but the rest of
the real estate is horribly empty.
ATC - A nice box for the ATC list and I like the colours to denote how
near/far the controllers are. On the downside the list can refresh at
annoying times and this can make controller selection tricky.
VOX - Does anyone use this? I tend to leave the Voice channels on
screen.
CHT - For text messages but I have only used this once.
WX - weather reports box but not yet implemented in ATOC.
DEP/ALT/ARR - for airfield charts. Differing scenery installations make
this good idea a bit of a dead duck.
TCAS - Excellent but I suppose we could live with the alternatives.
FPL - Flight plan box. Functional but not the best laid out screen in
ATOC and can be confusing for newcomers.

The Squawkwin software seems to be OK from the screenshots and the ICAO
flight plan box is almost identical in layout to the real world one. I
presume that once you are connected all that is left on the screen is
the small transponder box and chat area - similar the Squawkbox. I like
the Auto option and I'd be interested to see if the Ident facility
works.

As the blurb mentions using Project AI aircraft or AI Aardvark I presume
the FPI aircraft fleets may become redundant. I'll guess that the
current ones will stay available but any future repaints will be with
the PAI/Aardvark fleets. This suggests the Squawkwin system pushes out a
bit more data about the aircraft (maybe the aircraft title string)but it
should mean a lot more versatility than FPI's system.

I note that nothing is mentioned about weather in the Squawkwin blurb..